Tuesday, October 25, 2011

No Self

          Every Tuesday and Thursday from noon to twoish I have a philosophy class.   Im going to be honest with you from the get go.  I don't care for philosophy too much.   I think it gives people who know a whole lot of nothing lots of room to talk about it.  I also kinda resent that their are people out their who presume to tell me that I am prescribing to a certain way of life that they have defined for me.   Bleh...   Philosophers had one thing going for them, timing.   They were perfectly timed in writing what I assume lots of people already knew, they just beat everyone to the punch.  I do understand and respect the idea of philosophy however.  And I always appreciate a good rant, which philosophy encourages.  Which brings me to my next topic.
          Incase I havn't mentioned it before I follow the Buddhist path.  I have no illusions of becoming a Monk.  I am the first to admit that I like my junk food every now and then and I like to rant.  I enjoy a good puter game, and a reality show on tv.   But I do meditate and meditateing has given me answers to questions I have had.  I do believe in working from a place of love and compassion and I do believe in reincarnation and no self.  I wake every day with the intention of living my life this way.
          Recently I read an article in the fall issue 2011 of "Buddhadharma" magazine. http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/  In a nut shell the article talks about how Buddhism is the fastest growing religion in the United States right now, but because Buddhists are encouraged to work from the place of no self we don't discuss our beleifs openly, therefore many are not aware of the growth.  I remember having many opportunitys to share with people my spiritual beliefs and choosing not to for that exact reason.  My spirituallity is mine I don't need to explain it; but that attitude kinda promotes selfishness actually, not no self. Well after realizing that, and after a philosophy class and after reading this article I got to thinking, time for me to voice my opinion.
          In class we were discussing the philosophy of self.  You know Descartes,"I think therefore I am." hypothesis.  This led to different ideas on the self, including Buddhism.   My Professor, who is excellent by the way, never gives the answer; he only asks questions.  So when he presented the idea/ question of no self as it applies to Buddhism I was not surprised to find how many people in the class were confused about this concept.
         
                                  "No Self" adapted from the Samyutta Nikaya reads
           "The instructed disciple of the Noble Ones does not regard material shape as self, or self as having material shape, or material shape as being in the self, or the self as being in material shape.  Nor does he regard feeling, perception, the impulses, or consciousness in any of these ways.   He comprehends each of these aggregates as it really is, that it is impermanent, suffering, not-self, compounded, woeful.   He does not approach them, grasp after them or determine "Self for me" ("my self")-and this for a long time conduces to his welfare and happiness.
          The instructed disciple of the Noble Ones beholds of material shape, feeling, perception, the impulses, or consciousness: "This is not mine, this am I not, this is not my self."   So that when the material shape, feeling, perception, the impulses, or consciouness change and become otherwise there arise not from him grief, sorrow, suffering, lamentation, and despair."

          Simply put...don't be selfish.  Selfishness breeds sorrow.  Don't put emphasis on material things, they are not the real reason for living.  Live day to day and enjoy what you have.  Be mindfull of what you have.  Be thankful for the people in your life; even the strangers.  Don't engage in drama, gossip, and the emotions that cause pain to the self; whether it is your self or some one elses.  All of those material things, and bad feelings, which are human nature, detract us from what is real in life and our real purpose for being here.  Think not of your self...no self.  Easy.  And a much happier contented life style.
          Meditation is used to clear the mind.  It does not work for many people however because they are thinking of the self.   Meditate on no self.   What if you were not alone?  What if your actions really did not make a difference alone.   What if you didn't get that car, that job, that house?  What if your kids don't go to the best schools?  What if you don't drop that ten pounds?  What if your boss did not appreciate you?  What is you loose your job and have to go back to school? What if your wife is a bitch?  What if your husband is a drug addict or alcoholic?  What if, what if, what if.  It adds up and in the end you find that it really doesn't matter.   Live in peace and you will find peace.  Stop being selfish and you will be surrounded with unselfishness.  Praise and be praised.  Help and be helped.  Live each day individually and each day will be individual.  The universe really does have a way of taking care of those in it if you just give it time to do so. 
          When someone chooses the path of no self we are not saying we don't count.  We are saying that we are not the only ones who count.  We are not saying we have no identity.  We are saying that our identity is not the only one that counts.   We are not saying that we don't have an opinion or thought.  We are saying that our thoughts and opinions effect more then just ourselves.  No self.  We are choosing to appreciate, listen, observe, understand and think with kindness and optimism.  I leave you with another reading from the Dhammapada.
Joy

Live in joy,
In love,
Even among those who hate.

Live in joy,
In health,
Even among the afflicted.

Live in joy,
In peace,
Even among the troubled.

Look within.
Be still.
Free from fear and attachment,
Know the sweet joy of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment