Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Get Your Drugs Here

          I heard a surpriseing and disturbing statistic the other day.   Florida supplies 85% of all illegal pills in the United States.  Congratulations fellow Floridians we are the number one drug pushers of pills in the United States!   To tell you the truth Im not sure how accurate this number is, but it seems to be out there, and people are talking about it and giving us a bad name.  Although I think we personally deserve it. 
          I don't know too much about the statistics, but I am familiar with how pills have effected my life.   I use to be a Support Worker for a more well known and reputable Social Service agency.  (until budget cuts...thank you Obama)  My job was to go into homes and help parents be better parents.   Many times the children had been removed from the home due to a variety of obvious reasons which are obvious and I don't think I need to write about.   Surprised you will not be when I do tell you that many of these clients had addictions.  The majority of them were not addicted to alcohol, or the high end drugs like heroine.  The two biggy's were crack and pills.  Pills were number one.  Every single pill that these people had lost their children over, had their familys destroyed and their world turned upside down, had to be prescribed by a doctor.  Who the hell is the doctor(s) writing out these prescirptions for gods sake?  I thought these people were suppose to be looking out for our best interest and health?
        Oh I know people can put on a good act.  Chronic back pain, surgical issues that never have seemed to clear up, gall stones, kidney stones, arthritis, the list goes on and on. I personally know people, who still have custody of their children and are holding down good jobs who have been taking pain medications, in one form or another for over four years.  Now I understand the concept of pain maintenance by use of medications and the benefits of it, and beleive their are people who genuinly need it.  But some of these peoples pain does not fall under that catagory and it is those people who are giving Florida a bad name.
        Once again I need to ask.  WHEN did we become a nation of people who seem to be unable to cope?  And which generation started all this bullshit?   85% is pretty horrifying.  Our children, you know the generation that will take care of us in our old age, is growing up with that number.  They are being raised by people who encourage and support that number. 
       There is some startling information out there on study's done on placebos.   People in these study's were given sugar pills, told they were a variety of things (depending on the study) any where from pain meds, to anti anxiety meds, anti depressants, sexual enhancement drugs, etc. etc.   In EVERY study the effects of the placebo were GREATER and more positive than the actual medication.   We have become a nation of drug dependant people.   If I were another nation I would be keeping my eye on that, it could prove to be useful in some way. 
       Time for us to take a stand and speak up.  From what I understand Florida legislature has been attempting to reign in some of this out of control and irresponsible pill usage, but our great and wonderful Govenor, for what ever reason, has been vetoing it?  WTF!!  Florida is not full of retired people who need pain medications, and the doctors seem to be unable to keep track of what they are prescribeing to whom when.
       I have included an interesting websites on the topic.  Check them out.
 http://www.gwenolsen.com/?page_id=391
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-prescription-drugs-whats-next-20110614,0,7129783.story

No comments:

Post a Comment